Pages

Saturday 26 May 2012

Random Much

Well hello hello! Hope y'all had a wonderful week? Mine was a bit long but it was good and my heart is filled with joy and gladness because God has been totally amazing.

Yesterday two years ago I lost my grandma and it was a tough time for my families, I'm thankful that we've grown stronger since then. I have written and said this in the past "no one can steal the memory of her love from us and no one can heal the hurt". She was the greatest woman I knew/know, with a beautiful soul. I have so much to tell my readers but I'm not ready to share some things just yet but hopefully soon I would be able to write about somethings.

Anyhoo, I was inspired to write this post when I opened 'The Entertainer' magazine. It's a Nigerian Magazine like 'Ovation' and the 'Hello's' of London. A Colleague brought it to work and I decided to look through after work...

I'm not the best of writers out there not even close to being one of the best but I try to read and proof-read before I put up a post. I use short forms cos it is not a professional blog. However, reading some articles and interviews in this mag, it was safe to come to a conclusion that there was absolutely no editing and if indeed an editor existed, it was certainly a poorly done job; cos I would think people pay to read for substance and quality. You know..., It was simple errors such as "How do you meet your wife" as opposed to "did". I mean... just the little details that add the hmmph to a good read.

One interview in particular that caught my eye was that of a married couple who had dated for 6 years and were being interviewed about how they met, the sort of advise they'd give to other couples blah blah blah. Without being condescending, the very question that got me was "how did u know she was the one and how did u propose?" The husband replied, "We had dated for 6 years and it was the right thing to do, I didn't have to propose. Her parents knew me, my parents knew her so there it was at the right time we did the introduction and the rest is history. The bride's reply was "We don't always go with the western culture, we just knew marriage was the next thing, he didn't propose we planned the wedding for a year or more"

One thing every one is entitled to is their own opinion and this is mine - feel free to differ. 6 years of dating doesn't mean the right thing to do is get married. If my future husband were asked that question and gave an answer as silly as these two I would be very furious. In fact there is no way he would be saying that...lololol that's just a silly imagination. Why wouldn't a man say something like "I knew she was the one because before I met her, I thought my world had everything I needed to be happy and when she walked into my life, everything changed and I realised how empty my world was without her in it as my old life was no longer capable of making me happy without her" Yes I love romantic guys and I've got lines hehe: there's never a boring moment with them.

On the other hand, the girl should have said something like" I knew he was the one because he is the most unique person I have yet met and I knew I wanted to see the world through his eyes cos he challenges me and loves me in a way no one ever has...I couldn't imagine spending the rest of my life without him" or something... Comon' I felt this was a weak answer for a newly wed in my opinion. I mean, isn't it meant to be the time u are kinda love drunk or something of that sort and answers are meant to be cheesy, funny, and cute.

Two, I am in no way saying a marriage without proposal is bad, but we live in the 21st century and as much as we have and stick to our traditions; there are some things we should get accustomed to e.g. Proposals. Yes you can both know you want to be together forever but guys should propose. Future husband had better be close friends with my sister, she'll tell you the right buttons to push. Truth is, just as my parents and theirs before them had tons of stories to tell about their very romantic beginnings, I refuse to allow that tradition end with me :D. 

12 comments:

  1. May your grandma continue to RIP. Amen

    As for the couple who did the interview?! :O they can't be serious! Where they do that at?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen.. Thanks Sijs

    I would have hoped they were kidding if that interview wasn't published. Tsk tsk...

    ReplyDelete
  3. May she rest in Peace, Amen.

    Sorry o! man must propose ahan! he sounds like he just settled. This might not be what he meant but ahan I take offence for the babe jo!

    I like a bit of tradition, it gives life meaning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen....

      I'm very traditional...but theres a thin line between that and being plain old boring

      Delete
  4. Definitely not marriage but settlement. They probs got trapped in the time they spent together and felt obliged "that the next thing was marriage" what a joke right!?! but someone reading this is probs settling in a relationship now because of "time" inevitably "the next thing was marriage " would follow
    READERS BEWARE #DON'T SETTLE O!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word....it just sounded to me like settling. They made it seem like the longer the number of yrs the more it is meant to be.

      Delete
  5. LMAO. I think one of the most important part of a marriage is the part the guy asks the girl. I know a lot of people looking forward to just that. Me, I have my proposal all planned out. You can't joke with that. Marrying a girl without asking? WHAT?!?!? That's like giving her a reason to leave if the union becomes difficult. Then again, Nigerians, We are the most unpredictable people on earth. Marrying without proposing? LOL. SMH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha that's what i'm talking about...a proposal is not too much to ask for

      Delete
  6. May she RIP! Amen. The Lord is your strength.

    oh wow.!! who does that..?? it was the next thing to do? /0_0\


    www.deduchess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen..thank u duchess!! Answer to ur question.. Apparently pple do lolol

      Delete
  7. Yet another fine piece Ebony... May your Grandma continue to rest in peace.

    If the marriage ever does get stale, they're definitely gonna stick with it. I'm positive their parents had a lot to do with "getting married coz it's the next step". I can just imagine how they'll be in 5years! And that's a maximum! 5years of marriage, n reality will set in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen..Thank u LadyAries, One thing some pple are good with is sticking to it... They will stick with it even if they are unhappy!

    ReplyDelete