Pages

Monday 28 March 2011

Different But Not Less

Hey guys I'm back again... sorry for the long wait, I had to ensure this piece was well tied together.

Since I was born I have always been treated different, and I finally came to a realisation that I was. Growing up my parents didn’t treat me any different from my siblings, but in school I was… I wasn’t allowed to play like most kids were, I wasn’t allowed to swim for long and my favourite; I drank more water than anyone I knew.

I had a health condition that couldn’t be treated but could be managed and whilst growing up my parents did the best job possible to manage it with help from my maker of course. The health condition was my little secret and I wanted everyone to treat me just like they treated everybody around me *normal*. I was old enough to start having male friends and subsequently, a series of counselling sessions at the clinic about who I could and could not see followed; I was also told to be more open about it in relationships. I previously denied its facts and had lied to many people about it in the past. Eventually, I overcame my fear and finally told my friends who were totally shocked by the way.  Thing is: I had been told so many negative stories about people with the same health condition and I was scared the same might just happen to me *which was only a normal thought*.

I was in my first relationship where I was open about me from the very start, but the only relationship where I was treated as less because I was different. I guess everything was just wrong… I had a crisis and he got cold feet. Technically when people say they are in love with you, you take it all in and for all its worth, believe every word because u probably feel the same way about them. However, you never really know the strength of their affection until life throws them some form of test – a test which could only be surmounted, by a certain level of maturity and the most sincere of emotions.

Funny thing is I was in the hospital for two weeks and not as much as a single visit from him *the one who had professed such depth of love*. You would agree with me that even the most platonic of friends would have at the least paid a visit… *its only common sense if u ask me*.  I guess he was young and it was too much for him to handle at the time; I mean there’s no saying what I can handle as well lol J.  To cut the long story short, his parents said he couldn’t see a ‘sick girl’ but I can understand that they only had his best interest at heart. I was told to defend or explain myself to them and tell them what their son was getting into, imagine??? . I cried myself to sleep so many nights because I had so many questions for God and my parents. I often asked nights and nights again “why me?” “what did I do to deserve this??” “Am I really your child???” Why couldn’t God just take it all away???? I slept some nights hoping to wake up to a new status and thank God I have… but of course at the time, my parents took the brunt of it with me constantly probing and blaming them for this *now I feel bad* J cos Lord knows how much I love them.

"Why didn’t anyone tell me it would be this difficult getting through life" was my constant thought; the words ‘sick girl’ simply couldn’t be erased.  Finally I realised it was an unhealthy relationship, one where the last penny from my emotional bank account was withdrawn * you were meant to laugh*… I became aware of the fact that though I was different I was not less, peculiar but not fragile and as whole as every other person not needing the slightest pity.  Despite challenges (just like everyone has once in a while) I have achieved remarkable measure of success *don’t go thinking now… I haven’t built a house neither have I bought a car, quit being shallow folks*. A success borne out of the treasures one finds in friendships, the unfailing support of family and the most amazing love from a God who is not only mindful of me but is my ever present help. I realise now I am blessed in more ways than one.

18 comments:

  1. I agree! you certainly are blessed in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely piece. You are definitely blessed more than you even know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOUCHING !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice..... U r indeed blessed and we love like crazy........

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is WONDERFUL!!!! i was teary eyed and moved, yes 'Different but not LESS' as we all are in one way or the other..... this is a beautiful work of art and I am 150% impressed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patricia this is very beautiful...

    Funmi.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is def one of my fav. blogs. I love ur sincerity ebony. Kudos!!!
    For all those who tend to be easily broken by adversity, my advise is that: 'when the next storm tears u apart, pls keep it to urself and don’t go draggin others along with u'.
    An absolutely movin piece... Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you! Absolutely beautiful.. got me teary-eyed... Definitely your no 1 Fan Ebony... regardless of whatever.. you are not any lesser than everyone of us.. (is lesser even a word, should look it up).. most of all God loves you more and his love is unconditional **yaaay** compared to human love!.. thank God for our families and friends... Angels here on earth... Beautiful Piece still... Thouroughly touching and interesting...

    Dutchess loves you...

    www.reflectionofadutchess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. i guess my comment was a tad unclear.... :( when i wrote "for all those who tend to be easily broken, my advise is that...", i was referring to the young man who displayed an award winning level of immaturity.
    Ebony.. you must to keep writin o..lol. totally lovin ur style!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks guys for ur kind remarks....my intention was never to make u teary eyed or the least downcast...

    You know what they say 'if it doesn't break you, it only makes you stronger' this made me stronger and definitely filed away in the archives...

    Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baby! Dis is soooo luvly,U̶̲̥̅̊ gt tears in ma eyes. U̶̲̥̅̊ r soOoo nt less ma darlin U̶̲̥̅̊ r a very strong nd determined girl,am evaly behind U̶̲̥̅̊.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its rinny dear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really beautiful. I can relate to this in a lot of ways cos i have a friend who has the same condition. i tell her all the time that she is a very strong woman and i wanna tell you the same, do not let anyone treat you less or make you feel less. As for love, it will find you, just as it found my friend. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pat this brought tears to my eyes, you are truly blessed. Love you girl!

    L xXx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Anonymous for the kind words, like I said its all in the past and I mean it in every sense of the word... I simply put the story out there as I believe we can all learn from each other's perspective and who knows maybe someone would be strengthened from it..!!! God bless u too!!

    Love u too L... I'm indeed blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! great write up...i need to leave ur page now but just cant stop reading till the last.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goosebumps all over! "though I was different I was not less, peculiar but not fragile". Yes!
    "A success born out of the treasures one finds in friendships, the unfailing support of family and the most amazing love from a God who is not only mindful of me but is my ever present help. I realise now I am blessed in more ways than one"
    Double Yes!
    p.s - I didn't laugh till I read "* you were meant to laugh*" Haha.

    ReplyDelete