Pages

Sunday 30 June 2013

Torn !


My mum was only 16 when she got pregnant. I have always wondered what she was thinking when she let someone get on top of her to get her pregnant. I have always wondered why I was the spermatozoa that made it out of the millions or was it billions they said?

I also wondered why people said God has a plan and even if I were a mistake, according to God's big plan I am expected to believe that I wasn't. But clearly, I was. The way I saw it, only a dumb person would think a mishap or an 'oops!' isn't a mistake.

My dad's family thought a baby couldn't take care of another baby so they decided to take care of me. I didn't see my mother till I was 15; when she was Ill and was going to pass.

She passed 2 days after I saw her for the first time in 15 years. I went through so many emotions: anger, pain, joy, bliss, happy, bitter, disappointed and the list goes on. I was disappointed that she didn't make an effort to be involved in bringing me up. I was happy because she made sure she saw me before she passed. However, my mum was angry and happy. Happy to see me, but angry that I came and spoilt the good thing she had with my dad. She asked me to forgive her and I did and I also asked for her forgiveness even if I knew I shouldn't have apologised for her thoughtless act of getting pregnant as a teenager. 

When she passed, my dad thought it was time to stop living with his uncle and sent for me to join him and his family in England. I was going to live with people I had never met and a father I never knew. I knew he paid all my fees as my uncle had said but that's all I knew of him. 

I moved in with my new family and I was absolutely in love with my step siblings, the baby especially. My dad started becoming violent towards me -I reminded him too much of my mum. I don't know what it was about her that got him so angry but I know he hit me a lot, he would hit me like he was fighting with his friend. He didn't hesitate to tell me that his worse decision was bringing me over to England. I put my hands up, sometimes I did have a terrible attitude but I don't think that was inevitable because I was always reminded that it wasn't both their intention to have me.

Today, my dad hit me again and I write from the hospital bed; where I am being treated for a head injury. The police just got a statement from me (no I didn't call them, the neighbours did ). They want me to press charges but I don't know if I should. It is the right thing to do but he has 3 other children who he loves dearly and a beautiful wife who calms him down when he hits me. They keep asking if I need to see someone who would advise me. I want him to pay for this by doing time but what would you think about me ?

6 comments:

  1. Nne... I'm also 'torn'! I want so much for him to pay but I wouldnt want to hurt his family while trying to get at him because the truth is, if tables were turned and I wasn't the 'abused' I would plead with my step-sister to forgive daddy and not send him to jail. The man certainly needs help and while some time behind bars may help teach him a valuable lesson; I'm not sure it would solve the underlying issues. My take on this: file for a 'divorce' from your dad. Tell the officers you wouldn't want to press charges but you do have an alternative and that you would rather pursue to be adopted by another relative/guardian (please, let it be someone outside his family k...) Nne.... Tough one!

    Ps. You've matured in your style of writing; read just like a favourite novel! *thumbs up* darl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm flattered.

      I agree with you, however its always easier said than done, and what's to say life would be better off with a relative or guardian ? Tough one really.

      Delete
  2. The title Torn is really perfect for this story cos I don't even know the kind of advise to give gan. But lovely piece...waiting for your 1st novel. #wink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwh.. thanks Toyo, Much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Incredible piece of a more raging domestic violence becoming more rampant. For me this is a weak father, a hating one at that. Am much as I'd encourage justice, the african culture weaved in sentiments shows its ugly head again. Maybe, the best thing will be to get a restraining order while he gets help from his psychological problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The man definitely needs help because he can start beating his own children as well. The girl needs to get a better family, its not her fault she was born. don't press charges but ensure the authorities get him to a Psychiatrist and she gets into proper foster care.

    ReplyDelete